International students at University of Oxford

Welcome to the University of Oxford, a lively and multicultural community in which international students are cherished members. A third of students are international citizens, coming from over 140 countries. Oxford makes a genuine effort to make the transition into life at a British university as smooth as possible and has lots of resources to support international students, from the Student Immigration team to the College International reps.

International Student

International Student Insurance

Having reliable health insurance should be a top priority for international students in case of an accident or the need to see a doctor while studying abroad. With more than 20 years of experience, you can count on our plans throughout your journey. We offer the very best health and travel insurance plans that fit the unique needs of study abroad and international students like you. Our plans are recognised around the world and provide high quality coverage, at an affordable rate. Compare international student health insurance plans in seconds by starting with our easy-to-use tool.

Engage and connect with fellow international students through a wide range of societies and clubs. The Student Union hosts a Freshers' fair every year in the University Parks where you can learn about and sign up to a diverse range of student-led societies catering to various interests and cultures. Whether you're passionate about music, sports, or your home country's culture, you'll find a welcoming community and opportunities to make lifelong friendships.

Arriving from abroad and need assistance with storing your belongings?

Lovespace have been providing the students at Oxford with with exceptional self-storage solutions since 2011. Students love their service, as unlike traditional self-storage they take care of the entire process. They'll come and collect your items, store them for as long as you wish, then deliver them back to you at your request.

Contact them at +44 (0)80 0802 1018 to discuss your storage requirements and make arrangements.

Young man packing books in cardboard box in new loft apartment stock photo

The Student Immigration Team and college administrators will provide guidance on obtaining the appropriate student visa, depending on the type and duration of your course. They can also assist with visa renewals and applications for dependents, and advise on eligibility for other types of visa if you plan to work in the UK after completing your course.

Oxford's Academic English courses help international students improve their academic written and spoken communication. The courses are taught by specialists and are designed to build your skills and increase your confidence. They also have courses for partners of University students who are not members of the University in their own right. The courses take place at the Language Centre, situated on Woodstock Road.

How can I connect with fellow international students?

You can engage and connect with fellow international students through various avenues at the University of Oxford. The Student Union directory is where you can find numerous student-led societies catering to different interests and cultures, offering opportunities to make friendships. You can explore these at the Freshers' Fair - many societies exist which are dedicated to specific cultures and regularly organise cultural events.

Do I need health insurance as an international student at the University of Oxford?

Yes. If you are in the UK on an Academic Visitor visa of any length, you are only entitled to free NHS hospital treatment in emergency situations. Therefore, for non-emergency cover, you should arrange private medical insurance for the duration of your stay.

Where can I find support and guidance as an international student?

The University hosts an Orientation Programme for international students at the same as the Freshers' Fair. You will also receive induction information from your college and department about academic and social life at Oxford. The Student Information Service is responsible for providing advice about issues affecting international students, including orientation, immigration questions and assisting students who need to extend their visas.

How can I improve my language skills and academic writing?

The University of Oxford Language Centre, situated on Woodstock Road, provides Academic English courses designed to build your skills and increase your confidence. The courses are taught by specialists and aim to improve your academic written and spoken communication.

Is there a place for spiritual support and connecting with others of similar beliefs?

Yes, University of Oxford provides spaces and opportunities for spiritual support and connecting with others who share similar beliefs. The University has a Multi-Faith Chaplaincy that offers support and services to students of various religious and spiritual backgrounds. The Chaplaincy provides a welcoming space for prayer, reflection, and discussions.

How can I connect with International Student Ambassadors?

International Student Ambassadors are available to answer your questions and share their experiences. You can contact them via email at or connect with them through social media platforms.